SCUC Tool Library
The library loans tools to individuals and organizations who have completed a Tool Library registration process and are members of SCUC. Tools are loaned for a period of 1 to 7 days depending on the tool.
Tool loans are FREE except for gas powered machines. We charge a $5.00 gas fee to pay for gasoline. If a individual returns a tool late there is a $5.00 per day late fee. Loans are made to individuals on a first-come-first-serve basis.
Southside Tool Library Policies
- No contractors. The Tool Library is a program for individuals to maintain and repair their own living space. Tools are to be used at the address on file for your home, rental unit, or nonprofit project locations only. Contractors or other using tools to make money cannot borrow.
- Individuals must be age eighteen (18) or older to borrow tools from the Southside Tool Library. Individuals must reside in the 61605 area code AND BE A MEMBER (IN GOOD STANDING) OF SOUTHSIDE COMMUNITY UNITED FOR CHANGE, INC. (SUCU).
- Prior to borrowing tools, individual must (a) complete a Tool Library Registration form; (b) sign the Waiver and Indemnification Form; and (c) have their residence confirmed by a Tool Library volunteer or staff. Process includes the verification of the individual’s identity. Verification of identity is accomplished by a valid government issued photo ID. Residency is confirmed by the address listed on the valid government issued photo ID.
- Tools and equipment are loaned for 1 or 7 days. The return date is located at the top of the Loan Agreement. Failure to return the tools and equipment by the due date will incur late fees and stop the account. After 30 days, unreturned tools and equipment will be considered stolen property and charges may be filed.
- Tools must be returned to a Southside Tool Library Volunteer during Tool Library Hours of Operation. Tools cannot be dropped off during closed hours.
- There is a $5.00 re-stocking fee to borrow gasoline powered equipment.
- Tools must be returned cleaned and cords coiled or you will be subject to a $5.00 fine.
- There is a $5.00 per day late fee for tools not returned on time.
- No renewals. Any tools you wish to keep longer than your initial loan period will need to be returned and checked out again on or before your due date to avoid late fees.
- Individuals are responsible for lost/stolen/broken and damaged tools – reasonable wear and tear expected. If tools are lost/stolen/broken or damaged, the individual is responsible for:
- Notifying the police if stolen and reporting to Southside Tool Library.
- Cost of replacement/cost of repair of lost/stolen/broken/damaged tools.
- Tools are loaned on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- One person per registration.
- Registration expires yearly.
- The Southside Tool Library reserves the right to limit the number of tools borrowed.